First of all, many thanks to taigareview at myotakureviews.com, for nominating RABUJOI! Simply having our work read by humans (and possibly anthropomorphic tanukis) is an honor in and of itself. For that work to compel someone to nominate us for an award is both humbling and gratifying.
This is actually RABUJOI’s second nomination; last February we were nominated by otakudaydreams but were unfortunately too busy to write an appropriate response.
This time I took it upon myself as Captain of RABUJOI (a title I just bestowed upon myself) to respond properly, and take the opportunity to answer the questions provided, as well as nominate five more blogs to pay the love forward. So here goes!
For the purposes of this article, the opinions below are my own, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of RABUJOI’s other authors.
1. Why do you like anime?
Because ianime is beautiful, imaginative, immersive, escapist, and fun.
2. Do you have a favorite Seiyuu (Voice Actor/Actress)?
Hanazawa Kana, AKA Hana-Kana. Every new role I hear her in, I appreciate her immense talent a little more.
3. What is your favorite food?
My favorite individual dish is Steak Tartare, but I also love sushi.
4. Japanese Anime or American Animation? and why?
Another tough question as I’m an American who was the perfect age for the Disney Renaissance (Mermaid, Aladdin, Lion King). But that’s also why I pick Japanese Anime: it’s more seriously targeted to adults, and it also sounds cooler owing to the language.
5. What is in your opinion the most important thing in an anime?
Whatever an anime brings to the table in terms of themes, production values, cast, crew, or nostalgia, the most important thing for me is that an anime make me care about it. Make me want to sit down, watch it, and long for the next episode.
6. Have you ever cried over an anime?
Surprisingly often. A lot of Ghibli films get to me, but most recently I’ve teared up a few times while watching Steins;Gate, which I’m currently watching for the first time, and my reviews for which are here.
7. Who are your top 5 (Male and Female) characters?
Oh God…this is tough. I struggle even with Top 10 lists. These are all tentative, and in no particular order.
8. Name 5 anime characters you hate the most?
Also tough, but I’ll give it a shot:
9. What do you think of the world today?
I personally can’t complain.
10. What are your hobbies?
In addition to watching and reviewing anime, I enjoy eating (but not cooking; that’s Zane’s purview), running, dancing, and sleeping.
11. Do you believe in magic?
I’m going to say yes…but I’m no scientist.
11 Random Facts About Myself
- I am left-handed, like three-fourths of RABUJOI’s authors.
- I have 20/15 vision, but I’ve always wanted to own glasses with plain glass lenses to look more intellectual/moe.
- Akira still scares me.
- If I can help it, I watch the movie before I read the book…if I read the book at all.
- I hate reading. Not nearly enough Itano Circuses.
- I named my Honda Civic Hana-Kana, after my favorite Seiyu.
- I love WWII naval ships.
- My handle is a portmanteau of Cloud Strife’s initial limit break (Braver) and Gatorade.
- I got into my first and only ebay duel while trying to acquire FFVII, about ten years ago. I ended up bidding $157.00, which by any measure is too much money.
- I’m allergic to nothing. See? I told you I can’t complain.
- I was due to be born on July 4, but I was a day early. Which is why I’m not named Samantha.
My 5 Nominees
I used to read a lot more from other anime blogs, but since I started writing I’ve had precious little time. Nevertheless, here are five picks. No snubs intended.
- Anime Instrumentality Blog
- Organization Anti-Social Geniuses
- The Reviewer’s Corner
- Sea Slugs! Anime Blog
Liebster Award Rules:
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award and you choose to accept it, write a blog post about the Liebster Award in which you:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
- Answer 11 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you
- Provide 11 random facts about yourself
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 1000 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
- Create a new list of questions for the blogger to answer
- List these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here.)
- Once you have written and published it, you then have to inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it)
And here are my questions for the nominees:
1. What was the first anime you ever watched?
2. Did that first anime get you into anime, or did that require watching more shows?
3. What is your favorite food?
4. Who is your favorite character designer?
5. If so inclined, what character would you have the least trouble cosplaying?
6. What is one sin an anime could commit that would make you turn your back on it?
7. Who are your top 5 (or 10) characters, regardless of gender?
8. Assuming they’d do a good job (not at all a certainty), which anime would you most like to see made into a Hollywood film?
9. Which anime character do you identify most with, if any?
10. What is your favorite beverage—alcoholic or otherwise?
11. Which anime do you wish got a sequel, that never did (or hasn’t yet)?
That’s all! Once again, on behalf of the entire staff, many thanks to taigareview at myotakureviews.com for making us a twice-nominated anime blog!