The Wulgaru brass plan an attack on the “lamata” from their stronghold in order to fulfill a prophecy. Meanwhile, Komine and the GDF plan to destroy Wulgaru’s forward base, Ragazza, which is close to their own base at Ceres. The Princes try to get used to their new home of Star Rose and interacting with their pit crews; Rin also appoints Yamada Peko to handle their scheules and everyday lives. They then board the Godinion and prepare to participate in the battle, which starts prematurely when the Wulgaru strike first. Among them is Prince Pleguzes Jiart, who is eager to see Theoria in action.
This week fully half of the episode is spent introducing us to the Wulgaru that were teased at the end of last week’s episode. We weren’t too impressed by their goofy designs, and came away from this episode not any more impressed. They’re dysfunctional, but not in a charming way like Team Fail – they’re just a bunch of arrogant pricks who can’t stand each other, and we can’t really blame them. We’re of the mind that a really interesting enemy is one that you end up kinda liking despite the fact they’re villains, and half of you roots them for while the other half is for the good guys. We don’t see that happening here. Not even a little.
Their reveal also suddenly dropped like nine new characters in our laps at once, and none of them were memorable. In fact, we liked the pit crews better, including Izuru’s. Not only are they friendly and helpful in the mess hall, they even stand up to him when some other officers try to bully him. We’re not sure what exactly Yamada Peko is supposed to contribute to the rapidly expanding cast, but hey, at least she’s really easy to draw! Otherwise, cats and kittens, it was a build-up episode. The battle will unfold next week; the first we’ll see from the perspectives of both Human and Wulgaru pilots.
Rating: 6 (Good)
- Wulgaru servants must suck blood from their masters and give in to their sexual advances without complaint.
- Lt. Amane is just barely containing her contempt for her CO Komine. But she can’t deny, the man cleans up for the cameras like a boss!
- The Princes are so uncomfortable in their huge new dorms, they all naturally gravitate together in one of them…usually Asagi’s.
- Why the hell does Asagi’s pit crew have a little kid again? That’s just random!
- Prince Pleguzes Servantbanger XIV is interested in Theoria. That might be interesting…assuming we knew who she was by now (we don’t).