Winter approacheth with haste. Here’s what we’ll be taking a look at (so far) come January! Shows and authors subject to change. We’ll update as needed.
Last Updated 30 Nov 2017
Winter approacheth with haste. Here’s what we’ll be taking a look at (so far) come January! Shows and authors subject to change. We’ll update as needed.
Last Updated 30 Nov 2017
Summer is over halfway done. It was a little rough at first, but once we found some more good-to-great shows to watch (Abyss, Classroom) things picked up. Still, now is the time to start glancing on what’s to come next season. Below is a list of shows we’ll be taking a look at this October.
We’re excited about a third helping of Food Wars, a second season of Kekkai Sensen and 3-gatsu no Lion, and a Kino no Tabi re-imagining. You know the drill (unless you don’t): click on a title to learn more about a show over at MAL.
As always, shows and authors are subject to change. We’ll be updating this list as we explore Fall 2017 shows.
Update-3 Oct 2017: Watching Shokugeki no Souma 3. Juuni Taisen TBD. Black Clover and Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte kara skipped.
Update-4 Oct 2017: URAHARA skipped.
Update-5 Oct 2017: Just Because! TBD. Ousama Game skipped.
Update-6 Oct 2017: Watching Kino no Tabi. Dies Irae and Net-juu no Susume TBD.
Update-7-8 Oct 2017: Watching Kekkai Sensen & Beyond and Mahoutsukai no Yome. Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou TBD.
Update-9 Oct 2017: Watching Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau. Imouto sae Ireba Ii. TBD. Houseki no Kuni TBD.
Update-11 Oct 2017: My Girlfriend Is ShoBitch TBD.
Update-12 Oct 2017: Watching Iyunashiki.
Update-13 Oct 2017: Dies Irae. dropped.
Update-16 Oct 2017: Watching 3-gatsu no Lion S2. Imouto sae Ireba Ii. dropped.
Bold = Watching
* = TBD
Crossed out = Skipped/Dropped
Last Updated 16 Oct 2017
Summer is almost here! While all of us at RABUJOI are looking a bit pale and are in need of Vitamin D, there’s a huge batch of new shows on the way, in addition to the second cours of three Spring shows. We’ve perused the Summer list and have made some tentative choices.
Note that as always, the presence of a show on this list does not indicate we’ll be reviewing that show regularly yet, we’re just taking some initial looks.
Aside from a new entry in the now massive Monogatari series and a Fate spinoff, it’s a fairly sequel-free Summer (at least for us), so there are a lot of unknowns on this list. We look forward to sussing it all over in the next couple of weeks!
Wouldn’t you know it, we forgot to post a Season Preview for Winter, so this will be our first of 2017. If it seems early, it’s not; we’ve released previews as early as the beginning of February; this is actually the furthest into the month we’ve waited. And why is that? No real reason beyond we just “hadn’t gotten around to it.” (Also, it’s feeling very Springlike around RABUJOI HQ of late).
Below is the preliminary list of shows we’ll at least be taking a look at this Spring. The only Winter carryover we know of (so far) is Little Witch Academia. Note that there are many sequels to popular shows (ahem Attack on Titan) among the titles, and as always, authors for reviews of these shows are subject to change, depending on which shows appeal to which writer. Click on a title to learn more via MAL.
Shows we’re definitely reviewing are in bold. Six weeks to go. Can’t wait to dig in!
Alice to Zouroku (Alice & Zouroku)
Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria (DanMachi / Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Side Story)
Kekkai Sensen & Beyond (Bloodline Battlefront)
Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records (Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor)
The Summer season is halfway over. Time to start looking ahead to Fall!
Below is a list of shows we’ll be taking a look at this October. It’s a smaller list than usual, but no doubt Oigakkosan will check out as much of the entire Fall continuum as he dares and let the rest of us know if anything else is worth watching (if he isn’t running for Congress or something by then).
We’ve kinda fallen in love with screencaps of late, sometimes grabbing over a hundred for one episode. But this Fall we’ll be transitioning to a one or two image-per-review format and letting our words do the talking.
Click on a title to learn more via MAL. Note that several shows only have spotty details. Authors for reviews of these shows are also subject to change, depending on which shows appeal to which writer. Shows we’re definitely reviewing are in bold.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season
Shuumatsu no Izetta (Izetta, The Last Witch)
3-gatsu no Lion (March Comes In like a Lion)
Fune wo Amu (The Great Passage)
Hibike! Euphonium 2nd Season
Nanbaka (The Numbers)
Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari (Poco’s Udon World)
Watashi ga Motete Dousunda (Kiss Him, Not Me)
You know the drill: We list ’em now, We watch ’em later, then whittle the season down to something we can handle, dropping the stuff that doesn’t cut it, while Oigakkosan wades through the rest (time permitting). Click on a title to learn more.
We’re now halfway (~six weeks) through the Winter of this new year, so we thought it was about time to take a look at what’s on the horizon once things warm up a bit and the deciduous trees start to bud.
Below is a list of we’ve found that might interest us so far, using MAL as a guide (all shows link there for more details). Note that as always, we have not consumed any of the source material for these shows, be it manga, novels, or games. We’ll be reviewing and rating purely on the merits of the anime adaptations, where applicable.
If we know a show is really bad (or just not our thing) from just the first ep, that show will be dropped. However, we typically give shows 3-4 eps to prove themselves worthy of our limited and very important time. A show below may also change if it turns out to be, for example, more up Zane’s alley than Preston’s. By week 5, we’ll be reviewing no more than twelve (12) shows, which means 9 of the shows below will be cut.
If you believe we’re missing out on an upcoming Spring show, let us know in the comments and we’ll take it under advisement.
* = carryover/second season/sequel.
6. Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season* (The Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water) – A-1 Pictures (Comedy, Ecchi, Fantasy, Harem, Romance, School, Sci-Fi, Supernatural) Source: Light Novel
7. Gyakuten Saiban: Sono “Shinjitsu”, Igi Ari! (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney) – A-1 Pictures (Comedy, Drama, Mystery, Police) Source: Visual Novel
8. Sakamoto desu ga? (Haven’t You Heard? I’m Sakamoto) – Studio Deen (Comedy, School, Seinen) Source: Manga
9. Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge (Tanaka-kun is always languid) – Silver Link (Comedy, School, Slice of Life) Source: Web Manga
10. Bakuon!! (Roar!!) – TMS Entertainment (Cars, Seinen, Slice of Life, Sports) Source: Manga
11. Hundred – Production IMS (Action, Ecchi, Harem, Mecha, Romance, School, Sci-Fi) Source: Light Novel
12. Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? (And you thought there is never a girl online?) – Project No.9 (Comedy, Ecchi, Romance, School) Source: Light Novel
13. Sansha Sanyou – Doga Kobo (Comedy, School, Slice of Life) Source: 4-koma Manga
14. Shounen Maid (Boy Maid) – 8Bit (Comedy, Shoujo, Slice of Life) Source: Manga
15. Ushio to Tora 2nd Season* – Mappa (Comedy, Demons, Shounen, Supernatural) Source: Manga
16. Flying Witch – J.C. Staff (Comedy, Shounen, Slice of Life, Supernatural) Source: Manga
17. Kuma Miko (Girl meets bear) – Kinema Citrus / EMT² (Comedy, Seinen) Source: Manga
18. Mayoiga (It is lost) – Diomedea (Drama) Anime Original
19. Bungou Stray Dogs – Bones (Mystery, Seinen, Supernatural) Source: Manga
20. Sousei no Onmyouji (Twin Star Exorcists) – Studio Pierrot (Action, Fantasy, Shounen, Supernatural) Source: Manga
21. Sword Gai – DLE (Seinen) Source: Manga
While we’re not taking in-depth looks at the upcoming Winter anime themselves, we thought it might be instructive to learn who’s involved in them.
Below we’ve listed past works we’ve seen from the directors and writers, as well as the past (and present) characters of note the seiyuu involved have voiced. Note that we’re only listing shows and characters from shows we’ve watched here at RABUJOI.
Directors of: Junketsu no Maria, Bakuman, Joukamachi no Dandelion
Writer of: Jinsei, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, Spice and Wolf, Ore Twintails ni Narimasu, Yosuga no Sora
Key Seiyuu: Ishigami Shizuka (Stella Vermillion, Kajou Ayame, Mito Ikumi)
Ozawa Ari (Kurumi, Toudou Kirin, Sakura Chiyo)
Assistant Director of: Sidonia no Kishi
Director of: Sidonia no Kishi 2
Director of: Sword Art Online I/II
Director of: Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai I/II
Writers/Series Compositors of: Black Bullet, Bleach, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, Gintama, Hanasaku Iroha, Kobato, Naruto, Natsuiro Kiseki, OreShura, Red Data Girl, Rokka no Yuusha, Shinryaku! Ika Musume, Sore ga Seiyuu!, Witch Craft Works, Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
Director of: OreShura, Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin, Saekano, Usagi Drop
Writers/Series Compositors of: Darker than Black 1/2, Eureka Seven, Eden of the East, One Week Friends, Oregairu 1/2, Rinne no Lagrange 1/2, Uchoten Kazoku
Key Seiyuu: Ueda Reina (Sekiya Naru, Ootori Ouka), Ono Daisuke (Handa Seishuu, Heiwajima Shizuo)
Director of: Nerawareta Gakuen
Key Seiyuu: Hosoya Yoshimasa (Wataya Arara, Kirishima Haruto) Komatsu Mikako (Shiodome Miuna)
Script/Series Composition of: Bakuman 1/2/3, Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince, Girls und Panzer, Hanayamata, Kimi no Iru Machi, Kobato, Tamayura Hitotose 1/2, Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta, Witch Craft Works
Key Seiyuu: Sara Emi Bridcutt (Bell Hydra, Yuubari), Saito Soma (Adlet Meyer, Twelve)
Director/Creator of: Ao no 6-gou, Aquarion Evol, Escaflowne, Various Macross Works
Script/Series Composition of: Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou, Steins;Gate (eps 7, 8, 17, 19, 20)
Director of: Chu2Koi 1/2, Hibike! Euphonium, Suzumiya Haruhi Yuuutsu/Yuutsu (2009)/Shoushitsu
Script/Series Composition of: Amagi Brilliant Park, Golden Time, Kokoro Connect, Suzumiya Haruhi Yuuutsu/Yuutsu (2009)/Shoushitsu
Key Seiyuu: Uesaka Sumire (Dekomori Sanae, Fubuki), Uchida Maaya (Takanashi Rikka, Ichinose Hajime), Hayami Saori (Hiiragi Shinoa, Ononoki Yotsugi) Shimono Hiro (Kuronuma Aoba, Katsuraki Keima)
Script/Series Composition of: Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist, Gundam SEED Destiny, Nijuu Mensou no Musume, Nurarihyon no Mago
Key Seiyuu: Ono Daisuke, Shimono Hiro, Kaji Yuuki, Seto Asami (Ayase Chihaya, Laffinty Fin E Ld Si), Takagaki Ayahi (Erika Karisawa, Mizukoshi Saki)
Director of: Hanayamata, No Game No Life
Series Composition of: Haikyuu!!, Usagi Drop
Key Seiyuu: Kimura Ryouhei (Braz D. Blood, L-elf Karlstein), Hanazawa Kana, Okamoto Nobuhiko (Okumura Rin, Saotome Yoichi)
Series Composition/Script of: Cross Ange, Toradora! (eps 5, 9, 10, 15, 16, 20)
Key Seiyuu: Yamamoto Nozomi (Misono Senri, Kusunoki Yukimura), Nanjo Yoshino (Hashiri Nio, Aoi Risa), Tanaka Minami (Hana N. Fountainstand)
Director of: NieA Under 7, Steins;Gate, Sukitte Iinayo
Series Composition/Script of: Bakuman, Denpa Onna, Natsuiro Kiseki
Key Seiyuu: Akesaka Satomi (Esdeath, Kurokawa Mari), Toyonaga Toshiyuki (Ryuugamine Mikado, Nagachika Hideyoshi), Hanazawa Kana, Sato Satomi (Chitanda Eru, Tamura Manami)
We’re now about halfway through the Fall (the colorful foliage has largely fallen) so we thought we’d take a look at what’s on the horizon once the nights start to frost.
While one could chalk it up to overzealously generous rating on our part, Last Winter featured the only three shows of 2014 (so far) with averages of 9 or higher (Yuri Kuma Arashi, Saekano, and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso). Four shows, if you count our Winter retro reviews of Steins;Gate.
Subsequent seasons have come close but failed to field a “Niner”: Fate-UBW, Ore Monogatarii!!, and Sidonia in the Spring; Gakkou Gurashi! and Charlotte in the Summer, and Gundam IBO, Noragami and One Punch Man this fall.
Assuming the Fall shows also come up short, will the coming Winter season be the one to break that streak? Not that it matters, all those shows were excellent and we’d watch them again given the time.
Here’s what we’ve scrounged up so far, using MAL as a guide. Note that as always, we have not consumed any of the source material for these shows, be it manga, novels, or games, so we’ll be going in as pure as an arctic fox’s coat (sequels to anime we’ve watched excepted).
If you believe we’re missing out on an upcoming Winter show, let us know in the comments and we’ll take it under advisement.
* = carryover/second season/sequel.
1. Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hakkei (Active Raid: Special Public Security Fifth Division Third Mobile Assault Eighth Unit) – Production IMS, Orange (Mecha, Police, Sci-Fi) Anime Original
2. Durarara!!x2 Ketsu* – Aniplex of America, Studio Shuka (Action, Mystery, Supernatural)
3. GATE: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri – Enryuu-hen* (Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There! Fire Dragon Arc) – A-1 (Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Military)
4. Gundam IBO*
5. Macross Δ (Delta) – Bandai Visual, Satelight, flying DOG (Action, Mecha, Military, Music, Romance, Sci-Fi) Anime Original
6. Schwarzesmarken (Black Brands) – SANZIGEN, ixtl, LIDENFILMS (Action, Drama, Mecha, Military, Sci-Fi)
7. Dagashi Kashi (But…but…) – Feel, Pony Canyon, TBS, BS-TBS (Comedy, Shounen)
8. Dimension W – Square Enix, FUNimation Entertainment, Lantis, Orange, Studio 3Hz (Sci-Fi, Seinen)
9. Haruchika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru – Lantis, P.A. Works, Glovision (Mystery, Romance, School, Slice of Life)
10. Prince of Stride: Alternative – Madhouse (Sports)
11. Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu Girls beyond the youth KOYA – Project No.9 (School)
12. Ajin – Polygon Pictures – (Adventure, Horror, Mystery, Seinen, Supernatural)
13. Akagami no Shirayuki-hime* (Second Season) – Bones (Drama, Fantasy, Romance, Shoujo)
14. Boku dake ga Inai Machi – A-1 (Psychological, Seinen, Supernatural)
15. Hai to Gensou no Grimgar (Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash) – A-1 (Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy)
16. Musaigen no Phantom World (Myriad Colors Phantom World) – Kyoto Animation (Action, Fantasy, Supernatural)
17. Norn9: Norn+Nonet – Kinema Citrus, Orange (Adventure, Fantasy, Romance, Shoujo)
We’re now about halfway through the Summer (sniffle), so we thought we’d take a look at what’s on the horizon once the leaves start to change color.
Last Fall was way too huge and sprawling and stressful for all involved (410 total reviews!), so we’re going to try to be a little—hell, a lot—more judicious with our final picks this year.
Here’s what we’ve scrounged up so far. If you believe we’re missing out on a show, let us know in the comments and we’ll take it under advisement.
* = carryover/second season/sequel.
1. GATE* (Summer Carryover)
2. Heavy Object – J.C. Staff (Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi)
3. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans – Sunrise (Action, Drama, Mecha)
4. Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider – A-1 (Mystery)
5. Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen – White Fox (Action, Drama, Fantasy)
6. Gakusen Toshi Asterisk (The Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water) – Aniplex, A-1 Pictures, flying DOG, Aniplex of America (Action, Comedy, Ecchi, Fantasy, Romance, School, Sci-Fi, Harem, Supernatural)
7. Owarimonogatari* (Endstory) – SHAFT (Comedy, Mystery, Supernatural)
8. Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry (A Chivalry of the Failed Knight) – Silver Link, Nexus (Action, Fantasy, Romance, School)
9. Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai (AntiMagic Academy 35th Test Platoon) – Silver Link (Action, Ecchi, Fantasy, Romance, Harem, Supernatural, Military)
10. Ushio to Tora* (Summer Carryover)
11. Comet Lucifer – 8bit (Adventure, Fantasy)
12. Garo: Guren no Tsuki* – MAPPA, Tohokushinsha Film Corporation (Action, Demons, Fantasy, Magic, Supernatural)
13. Noragami Aragoto* – Bones (Action, Adventure, Shounen, Supernatural)
14. Owari no Seraph 2nd Season* (Seraph of the End) – Wit Studio (Drama, Shounen, Vampire, Supernatural)
15. Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru (A Corpse is Buried Under Sakurako’s Feet.) – TROYCA (Mystery)
July is still over seven weeks away, but that’s no reason not to plan ahead! With Oigakkosan sadly out of commission for the foreseeable future, the remaining three of us are pressing forward.
Our Spring is pretty much set,
and we don’t forsee any more drops, with more drops possible. We’ve kept the field for Summer under twenty, including Shokugeki no Souma, which will be continuing for sure (not sure about Hibike!, but it might have a second cour as well). Like Spring, several of our selections are sequels of shows we’ve watched, while we’ll be skipping other sequels to shows we missed in the past.
Obviously, the list below is subject to change. As usual, we most of our info from MAL and try to go into shows without knowing too much. We’re also aiming to drop 5-6 of the shows below, ending up with our typical baker’s dozen, if not less.
1. Aoharu x Kikanjuu (Aoharu x Machine Gun) – Studio TBA (Action, Comedy, Shonen)
2. Aquarion Logos – Satelight, C2C (Action, Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Mecha, Romance, Sci-Fi)
3. Durarara!!x2 Ten– Aniplex of America, Studio Shuka (Action, Mystery, Supernatural)
4. Gangsta.– Manglobe (Action, Drama, Seinen)
5. Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri– A-1, Genco
6. God Eater– ufotable (Action, Demons, Fantasy, Supernatural, Military)
7. Classroom☆Crisis – Aniplex, Lay-duce (School, Slice of Life)
8. Danchigai (Uneven) – DAX Production, Dream Creation, Creators in Pack (Comedy, School, Slice of Life)
9. Joukamachi no Dandelion (Dandelion of the Castle Town) – Production IMS (Action, Comedy, Slice of Life, Seinen)
10. Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai (A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist) – J.C.Staff, Genco (Comedy, Ecchi, School)
11. Shokugeki no Souma (Food Wars) – J.C. Staff (Ecchi, School, Shounen) – Episodes 14-24.
12. Sore ga Seiyuu! (Food Wars) – Gonzo, Evil Line Records (Comedy)
13. Working!!! – Aniplex, A-1 (Comedy, Slice of Life)
14. Akagami no Shirayuki-hime (Snow White with the Red Hair) – Bones (Drama, Fantasy, Historical, Romance, Shoujo)
15. Charlotte – Aniplex, Key, P.A. Works (Genres TBA)
16. Gatchaman Crowds insight – Tatsunoko (Adventure, Sci-Fi)
17. Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan (The Instructor of Aerial Combat Wizard Candidates) – Diomedea (Action, Drama, Fantasy, Magic, School)
18. Rokka no Yuusha (Hero of the Rocker) – Passione (Action, Adventure, Mystery, Fantasy, Magic)
19. Ushio to Tora – MAPPA, Studio VOLN (Comedy, Demons, Shounen, Supernatural)
Spring is coming. Here’s what will air that interests us. Promo art and info from MAL. Eventually you can check out countdowns to first episodes over at Anichart.net.
Amusingly, the initial batch of Spring show’s we’re either interested in or at least going to give a look is 19, the exact number of shows we’re currently watching (not including Steins;Gate retro reviews). Certainly a less ridiculous field than the 42 of last Fall (of which we reviewed 17 to completion).
We’re not sure yet if we’ll be going back with brackets, or just taking shows as they come, and as always, the choices below are subject to change.
1. Sidonia no Kishi: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki (Knights of Sidonia: The Battle for Planet Nine) – Starchild / Polygon Pictures (Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi, Space, Seinen) Second season of the best anime of Winter 2014 (reviews here). Unlike Aldnoah.Zero, I was actually hoping for a second season. It happens to have an awesome sci-fi title, to boot.
2. Gunslinger Stratos: The Animation – A-1 Pictures, Square Enix, Nitroplus (Action, Sci-Fi) Anime adaptation of Square Enix’s arcade action game Gunslinger Stratos. Urobuchi Gen planning.
3. Plastic Memories (Plamemo) – Aniplex, Doga Kobo, Mages (Sci-Fi) My first thought: “promo art looks like Infinite Stratos.” Which makes sense because as it turns out they have the same original character designer. Amamiya Sora voices the heroine.
4. Gintama’ – Sunrise / TV Tokyo / Aniplex (Action, Comedy, Historical, Parody, Samurai, Sci-Fi, Shounen) – We’ll be taking a short glance at this new version of a wildly popular show. If it’s good, and we have time, we might review it…but we’ll be tourists. Our only exposure to the franchise is when the three main characters had a cameo in SKET Dance 26.
5. Denpa Kyoushi (He Is an Ultimate Teacher) – A-1(?) (Comedy, Romance, School, Shounen, Harem) Genius-turned-NEET-turned-teacher, thanks to his sister. Ono Daisuke will voice the male lead; Asumi Kana will voice his sis.
6. Hibike! Euphonium (Sound! Euphonium) – Kyoto Animation, Lantis, Pony Canyon, Rakuonsha (Music, School) That this is the latest work by the director of Suzumiya Haruhi and Chu2Koi, makes it worth an automatic close look, despite its similarities to A-1’s Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso.
7. Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu (The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan – Satelight / Lantis / Kadokawa Shoten / The Klock Worx (Comedy, Romance, Shounen, Harem) – This spin-off of the beloved and extremely popular Suzumiya Haruhi series has all the voice actors returning, but isn’t being produced by KyoAni. That being said, Nagato Yuki cemented her place as my favorite character in the franchise after the movie, so the fact she’s the main focus here (and Chihara Minori will voice her) makes me hopeful the change of studio is of no concern.
8. Nisekoi: – Shaft (Comedy, Romance, School, Seinen) – Will Raku end up with Kosaki (or any one girl) at long last? Ehh…Doubtful. But I’ll watch anyway, without committing to any particular pairing, because that’s not really the point of this kind of harem show.
10. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku (Oregairu 2 / My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU 2) – Feel / TBS (Comedy, Romance, School) – Like Nisekoi, I’m familiar with this franchise and it wasn’t bad, so I’ll be watching. Its first season got off to a slow and uninspiring start but got much better.
11. Ore Monogatari!! (My Love Story!!) – Madhouse, Nippon Television Network Corporation (Comedy, Romance, Shoujo) A “big awkward guy gets some love” in an industry full of “regular-sized guy gets some love” shows. Worth a look.
12. Punchline – MAPPA (Comedy, Slice of Life) – “follows Yūta Iritatsu, whose spirit has been separated from his body.” Studio and promo art suggest this won’t be a bad-looking show.
13. Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka (DanMachi / Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?) – J.C.Staff / Genco (Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Romance) This has a long an obnoxious title, but I will be watching this along with Zane (not sure who’s reviewing). The director has comedic chops (Kill Me Baby!) but that was a short. Here’s hoping it’s not terrible?
14. Owari no Seraph – Wit Studio (Drama, Shounen, Vampire, Supernatural) – Pros: Those genres are up my alley…and it co-stars Hayami Saori. Con: There’s already a second season planned, so this will be a long commitment.
15. Re-Kan! – Pierrot Plus (Comedy, School, Seinen) – Kido Ibuki voices the lead.
16. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season – Ufotable (Action, Fantasy, Magic, Shounen, Supernatural) Like regular blade works, only unlimited. Having lost Saber, Shirou will retire to Okinawa with Rin and they’ll spend their days working on their tans.
17. Triage X – Xebec, DAX Production, Nippon Columbia (Action, Adventure, Ecchi, School, Shounen) – Boob Hospital.
18. Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo – Lidenfilms (Comedy, Mystery, Ecchi, Romance, School, Shounen, Harem, Supernatural)
19. Ninja Slayer From Animation – Trigger (Action) – Trigger’s third TV show after Kill la Kill and InoBato. Will have future ninjas in it, and a theme song from Boom Boom Satellites.
Yes, we know, we’re early; nearly a year earlier than our last Winter Preview. But the charts are out there, populated with new shows and sequels to old shows and such, so we’re getting a head-start on this. Winter isn’t going to be a huge and unwieldy as this Fall has been…hopefully. (Hopefully it won’t be as cold and nasty round these parts, either!)
Not listed here yet are all of the miscellaneous shows Oigakkosan will be reviewing in a new bracket format, taking your feedback into consideration of what gets reviewed. If there are lots of major changes between now and this time next month, we’ll release an amended preview. Until then, here’s what’s on the menu come January:
1. Aldnoah.Zero 2 – A-1 / TROYCA (Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi) Second season of the Summer 2014 series (reviews here). I wish the show had been able to resolve everything in one 12 or 13-ep run, but when does that ever happen?
2. Durarara!!x2 Shou – Aniplex/Square Enix/Brains Base/Mainichi/Movic/ASCII Media Works/Sakura Create (Action, Mystery, Shounen, Supernatural) First of an ambitious three-cour sequel to the 2010 hit. I loved the original, having watched it just before we started RABUJOI.
3. Gundam: G no Reconguista – Sunrise (Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi, Space) Second cour. Fall carryover (unconfirmed). Yeah, it’s not that good, but short of a Nobunaga the Fool-esque precipitous loss of interest, I’m continuing with this.
4. Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo – Sunrise (Action, Sci-Fi) Second cour. Fall carryover. Plenty more wringers to put Ange through!
5. Koufuku Graffiti (Happy Cooking Graffiti) – Shaft (Comedy, Seinen) A cooking-centric series by Shaft? I’m on board.
6. Rolling☆Girls (Happy Cooking Graffiti) – Wit Studio (Slice of Life) I loved the four-episode One Off, and while there’s no guarantee this is anything like that, it does seem to be about girls on bikes.
7. Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata – A-1 (Comedy, Drama, Romance, School)
8. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso – A-1 (Drama, Music, Romance, School, Shounen) Second cour. Fall carryover.
9. Tsukimonogatari (Possesstory) – Shaft (Comedy, Mystery, Romance, Supernatural) Latest 4-episode Monogatari special, focusing on Ononoki Yotsugi. While they’ll all fit together as one long movie, I will do seperate reviews like I did with Hanamonogatari.
10. Isuca – Arms/DAX Production/Mages (Action, Comedy, Ecchi, Romance, School, Supernatural, Seinen) 11.
11. Kamisama Hajimemashita◎ – Dentsu/TMS (Comedy, Demons, Fantasy, Romance, Shoujo, Supernatural) Sequel to the Fall 2012 series (Reviews here). I’ve seen sequel titles with stars, apostrophes, question marks and exclamation points…but what the heck is that symbol at the end?!
12. Sailor Moon Crystal – Episodes 13-18 of 26. Summer 2014 carryover.
14. Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu (Parasyte – the maxim) – Madhouse (Action, Drama, Horror, Sci-Fi, Psychological, Seinen) – Second cour. Fall carryover.
15. Sanzoku no Musume Ronja (Ronia the Robber’s Daughter) – Studio Ghibli, NHK, NHK Enterprises, Dwango, Polygon Pictures (Adventure, Fantasy) Second cour. Fall carryover.