Here it is: the last chart of 2014. It’s smaller still than last month’s, due to our saying sayonara to five more shows we either couldn’t find time or ran out of enthusiasm for.
As expected, the battle for the top remained heated until the very last week, with Fate stay/night UBW ending up on top due to a strong ending.
Note that if we excluded episode 00, Fate would fall to two hundredths of a point below Uso…but excluding episode 00 would be silly!
The chart above is the culmination of 200 rated Fall episodes. The total episode tally of the dropped shows comes to 155 for a total of 355 rated episodes.
Some Lessons Learned (in no particular order) :
- Don’t stick with a show that may look and sound great but seems to be perpetually stalling. (Sora no Method, though Preston did watch the rest and it ended okay).
- Avoid shows you can’t say anything nice about. (Akatsuki no Yona, Nanatsu no Taizai).
- Don’t keep reviewing shows you can’t say anything at all about, aside from providing a summary (Ronja).
- Shows that air bi- or tri-weekly have a much greater chance of falling by the wayside (Sailor Moon Crystal).
- Don’t judge a book by its cover (Ookami Shoujo)…
- …Unless the cover is obviously representative of the book (Hi SCoool! Seha Girl).
- Drop shows quickly and focus on giving the shows you really love the attention they deserve; don’t drag things out (Many examples).
- While it’s nice to run comparisons between two similar shows (Daitoshokan and InoBato), it’s probably best to pick one or the other in a busy season.
- Don’t automatically commit to sequels. They might end up stinking (Chaika).