After their victory at RA122, the Rabbits return to academy, where Suzukaze informs them they’ll be graduated early and enter the GDF army. They move out of their dorms and reminice on how they met as a team and eventually gelled. They then perform a competent demonstration in their AHSMBs that impresses the student body. After their graduation ceremony they board a bus, and the entire school assembles to salute them as they leave, perhaps never to return.
This episode had an air of final episode-ness to it, only we’re just a quarter of the way through the series. The young, now affectionately-named “Team Fail” is leaving the academy because they didn’t fail; they proved they were ready for prime time. We like this move and its promptness; we didn’t need another few episodes of them dicking around in school when there’s real battles to be fought. As Commander Simon says, there’s nothing more for them to learn at the academy. Their new schoolroom will be space and the war with the Wulgaru, and they’ll only progress with JURIA integration if their lives are put on the line.
Somewhat ironically, we hadn’t seen a whole lot of the team at academy, which is where they’d spent the majority of their time prior to becoming the Majestic Princes, so while this was a farewell tour of the school for them, it was simultaneously an introduction to their student lives for us. Despite not spending a lot of time here, the emotions of suddenly leaving a familiar place and entering adulthood are very relatable themes. They’re excited about going and meeting their destinies, but they’re also weary of “leaving the nest” and eveything they knew for drastically different and far more hazardous lives. Next week, their military careers officially begin.
Rating:7 (Very Good)
- We liked how a group of classmates did not instantly lavish praise on them for their victory. After all, they assumed the Dobermans were the key to success, even though the Princes did all the heavy lifting.
- Even better, that same guy who mocked Asagi comes back after the demonstration to apologize. Classy move.
- Lt. Amane is merely stewing for now, but we’ll see if her discontent with her superiors’ superiors leads to action in the future.
- Subverting expectations for a fiasco, the Princes actually perform a clean demonstration, greatly improving their standing with the students.
- Of course Asagi trips and falls at the graduation cremony.
- Tamaki tearing up as the bus pulls away from their former home is a subtle but touching little moment.
- Turns out those ships that escapes the base’s explosion were just Wulgaru.
- Speaking of which, we finally see some Wulgaru in the flesh! And they’re damned silly-looking, with an aesthetic that combines sci-fi with midieval fantasy.
- Their presence makes us wonder: is that white-haired chick one of them? She certainly has an otherworldly air to her.