11. Binbougami-ga! – Complete (5.923) – At times, this series was either trying to do too much or not doing enough, but it had a strong finish to go with its strong first episode, and Ichiko and Momiji had a good friendship arc. Aside from Rindou, we didn’t really care for the supporting cast.
10. Accel World – Complete (6.000) – Some nice twists at the end, including some epic scheming by Chiyu, completed a consistently decent second half, marred only in the middle by Hime’s forgettable beach mini-arc.
8. Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse – 13/24 (6.308) – Yui and Yuuya have always been fun to watch both earlier when they were at each other’s throats and more recently now that they’re essentially best buds. The show does best when it focuses on these two and amps up the danger levels, definitely not when it’s going for fanservice or comedy.
9. Sket Dance – Complete (6.385) – Still…can’t believe…it’s over…but we’re also kinda glad it ended when it did, with the nostalgic return of episode one client Teppei and the bang of Saaya’s simple, earnest confession.
7. Tari Tari – Complete (7.154) – By the time the end came around, the spell Tari Tari had cast on us was wearing thin, as it lacked balance in the attention it gave its characters, and their goals were just a little on the hokey side.
6. Sword Art Online – 13/25 (7.154) – Kirito and Asuna are officially a couple, and aside from a side episode or two, the remainder of the series should focus on continuing to work towards beating the game. We hope we get to see some of these people waking up in the real world!
5. Rinne no Lagrange Season 2 – Complete (7.333) – A second season that was just as good, if not a little better than the first is what we were hoping for. The competent action and space battles all continued to take a backseat to the characters and their bonds. It earned its tidy, feel-good epilogue.
4. Kokoro Connect – Complete; until extra episodes (7.769) – Like Oreimo, there will be four more episodes to come, but even if there weren’t, the series had a great ending. We liked all three arcs, all the characters, and cared about what happened to them. Their interactions under duress were always engrossing.
3. Hyouka – Complete (8.333) – The perfect example of a series not going where we might’ve liked, but still being amazing to watch, maybe even in spite of Chitanda and Oreki never quite getting anywhere on the couple front.
2. Eureka Seven AO – 22/24 (8.444) – AO has really stepped up its game in the second half, and the twists and trippy turns never quit. Ao, Fleur, Elena, Naru and Truth have all been through a ton – as has the world. The cliffhanger leaves us highly anticipating the final conclusion later this fall.
1. Natsuyuki Rendezvous – Complete (8.636) – The best series of 2012 so far. A short, sweet, mature, and absolutely moving romantic drama.