With four series completed (Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, No. 6, Tiger & Bunny, and Usagi Drop) and one dropped (Morita-san wa Mukuchi), we felt like now was a good time to put up part of the new RABUJOI Big Board and see where things stand with seven series left to wrap up for Spring/Summer 2011:
|Episode # :||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||11||12||13||AVG|
|Kami-sama no Memo-cho||4||4||3.5||3.5||3.5||3.5||3.5||3.5||3||4||3.5||3.591|
|Dantalian no Shoka||4||3.5||3.5||3.5||3.5||3.5||3.5||2.5||4||3.5||3.500|
|Ikoku Meiro no Croisée||3.5||3||3.5||3.5||3.5||3||3.5||3.5||3||3||3||3.5||3.292|
|Morita-san wa Mukuchi||2.5||2||2||2||2.5||2||2||2||2.125|
Spring 2011 Carryovers
|Episode # :||14||15||16||17||18||19||20||21||22||23||24||25||26||AVG|
|Hanasaku Iroha (second half)||3.5||3.5||3.5||3.5||3.5||3||3.5||3.5||4||3.5||4||4||3.583|
|Tiger & Bunny (second half)||3.5||3.5||3.5||4||3.5||3||3.5||3.5||3||3||3||3.5||3.375|
|Ao no Exorcist (second half)||3||3.5||4||3.5||3.5||3||3||3||3||2.5||3.200|
|Sket Dance (second half)||3||3||3.5||3.5||3||3||3.5||3||3||3||3.5||3.182|
Stray Observations (many with baseball references):
• Cliff Lee is a good pitcher. Mawaru Penguindrum is a good anime. These are facts. Depending on how the first half ends, we may be compelled elevate it to Favorites.
• Currently tied with the completed Usagi Drop, Kamisama Dolls will need to rally in the twelfth inning to order to claim second place.
• With some new twists that open the series wide open, Blood-C also has a chance to take second, but it will have to score 4s in its final two innings; not an easy feat.
• Memo-cho and Dantalian no Shoka are following similar paths: excellent starts, consistent standout-ness from weeks 3-7/8, and lost a little command towards the end.
• Ikoku Meiro no Croisee was a pleasant enough series, but never moving enough to score a 4. Lack of hussle?
• No. 6 suffered the same fate as Fractale, only worse: it looked good on paper: a big world, big ideas, great concepts; but not nearly enough time to realize any of it to our satisfaction. Should have been at least a 26-episode season.
• Thanks to the brief firtation with the mediocrity of the three-minute Morita-san, we have our most colorful scoreboard yet! If we remove it from the Summer watchlist, the overall season rating jumps from 3.391 to 3.549 – a 15% rise. FYI, our average of all anime since we started rating them hovers around 3.5, ’cause if it ain’t standout, we usually won’t watch it.
• Just like its first half began, Hanasaku Iroha looks to finish strong. Just gotta wrap up the Ohana+Ko arc and a few other things.
• Ao no Exorcist…doesn’t. Apparently the anime story deviates greatly from the source manga. We don’t read source manga, so we didn’t notice, but if the manga story was better, it might have been better if they’d used that. As it is, Ao is whiffing at the off-speed stuff and late with the heat.
• We’ve stuck with Sket Dance for 26 games, but we don’t know if we’ll stay with it for all 39. Fall 2011 is a big season coming up, there may not be time. And one can’t rush a gentleman’s game. Unless you limit the amount of time a pitcher takes to come to the plate.